Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ubud to the Gilis/Senggigi

Hi there,





I would like some info about travelling from Ubud straight to the Gilis/Senggigi in April.





My two friends are reluctant to take Indonesian planes, let alone the tiny Merpati ones, so it looks like we’ll be travelling by boat.





We arrive in Bali on Friday night, then were thinking of chilling in Ubud for the Saturday and Sunday before heading to Lombok on the Monday morning.





I’ve looked at the Perama website and it seems that the shuttle bus to PadangBai plus the boat to the Gilis is Rp350,000 per person, which seems quite expensive and I have heard can take around 12 hours.





Is there a cheaper/quicker way to do it? E.g.:



- Take a boat from Kuta/somewhere else?



- Take the Perama shuttle bus to PadangBai, and get a fast boat from there (without pre-booking).



- Charter a car to PadangBai, and get a fast boat from there (without pre-booking).





Also, my friend has a flight from Denpasar to Singapore at 1pm the next Friday. Is it possible to leave from Lombok on the Friday morning and get to Denpasar airport in time? Or is it better to leave the day before?





Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!



Ubud to the Gilis/Senggigi


I%26#39;ve done the trip twice by sea, once was on Gilicat which was fast, but expensive like perama and a bit choppy. I did the public ferry which was fine but slow and I didn%26#39;t get to Mataram until 6pm so couldn%26#39;t get to the Gilis that day, but it was cheap and comfortable for sure. These days I just fly, it%26#39;s faster, the same price even with the transfer up the coast, it takes about the same time to get from Ubud to DPS as it does to get to PadangBai, although the journey from Ubud there is quite nice as long as the Perama bus isn%26#39;t packed to the gunnels. I%26#39;m not sure if Gilicat is still running though, I heard it was not running last year so I flew but it may have started again. If you are set against flying it%26#39;s probably worth checking that option. I%26#39;ve heard mixed things about the Perama boat, but I haven%26#39;t used it so can%26#39;t comment.



Getting back to DPS on the same day for a 1pm flight isn%26#39;t possible if you don%26#39;t fly, even then it%26#39;s tight IMHO

No comments:

Post a Comment