Sunday, March 28, 2010

Increased Accommodation Prices in Sanur & Bali Generally

I%26#39;m finding that accommodation prices have almost doubled since we were there in October/November 08. I%26#39;ve been enquiring for October 2009, a long term stay and have been quoted prices for budget (2-3 star) accommodation, not on the beach that works out to around AUD420 pw even dealing directly with the hotel. I assumed that this was the low season. I realise that there%26#39;s a global financial crisis but the AUD is low to the USD and the AUD to the IDR is about 8,200. I know these increases aren%26#39;t flowing onto the staff in the form of increased wages because the accommodation where we%26#39;ve stayed previously, we%26#39;re in touch with a friend who works there. Is it because Australians are beginning to return to Bali? Does anyone know why?



Increased Accommodation Prices in Sanur %26amp; Bali Generally


i suppose in a system where you bargain for most things, they will ask for more and it%26#39;s up to you whether or not you pay that amount or bargain.



Increased Accommodation Prices in Sanur %26amp; Bali Generally


In my experience I have found Bali generally has unusual logic when it comes to economic situations!.. I have just been to NYC, BKK and a bunch of other places in the past few months where hotels are making it more seriously more attractive for customers...





Many people in Bali generally believe that you should pay more for things in a down turn because there are less customers (this logic was typical when trying to bargain after the bombings etc!) And hoteliers here have actually been talking about raising their prices while the rest of the world are lowering them!





Some in people in Bali are under the delusion that Bali will be busier than ever this year because it is a cheap destination, this has been published in local newspapers etc.. They haven%26#39;t quite adjusted to the fact that many people wont be taking holidays overseas at all!





My advice would be to hold off booking for a while.. I don%26#39;t think you will have too much trouble finding some thing closer to the time..and it gives you a better standing for negotiation.. and they will all be very hungry for your booking by then I am sure!





Another piece of advise is when you are emailing - go back a few times telling them their offer just doesn%26#39;t fit your budget (that you would really love to stay with them because you like their hotel so much but unfortunately will have to go with an alternative hotel) if they see you aren%26#39;t going to take what they are offering you - they will often come down quite a bit if they want your custom..




Yes, Rockterrigal, I%26#39;m pretty familiar with the bargaining situation, however, the accommodation I%26#39;m referring to we%26#39;ve been repeat customers staying longterm, 2 weeks %26amp; 4 weeks, last year and nearly 6 weeks in 2007. It%26#39;s a small 2*-3* Balinese owned hotel. However, on this occasion I%26#39;ve been dealing with another person who%26#39;s not Balinese and the special rate offered although less expensive than that shown on their own website, on other accommodation search engines, the rate offered is only a couple of dollars less. I would happily pay it if I considered it reasonable.





Thanks Brigid for your comments. I see where you%26#39;re going with the rationale and I%26#39;ll take your advice on board about holding off making the booking until it%26#39;s a little closer to the time. We want to stay at the hotel we%26#39;ve stayed in previously because we have made close friends now with two staff members.




I%26#39;ve just come back from a trip to Bali and I%26#39;ve just booked to go back in September! The last time I went to Bali before this time was in 1981 (would you believe?).





There has been some press in WA newspapers lately about Bali re-inventing itself since the bombings. The concept of the ';luxury spa retreat'; instead of the cheap family holiday has taken a notable hold, with interest from countries such as Russia, Japan, France and Germany, to name a few.





I could see both sides of the coin this time around, the luxury and the usual bali local style that I%26#39;m a personal fan of.





I definately concur with waiting until close to the date. Although it wasn%26#39;t very busy, I had a lot of success with just approaching the hotels in Seminyak and Ubud. This way, prices were very reasonable indeed!




Ketut, from your PM to me, I know the property you are talking about, and I think the problem may be the time you are wanting your booking for. I think they may be very close to booked out so are now not reducing their price as much as normal.





I say this because both my son and I have seperate bookings for there at the end of the year and the prices quoted to us were both exactly the same as what we paid for the same villa types last year. And considerably less than the prices on the their website. We haven%26#39;t found that prices have increased at all.





I take it that the other option we spoke about in our PM%26#39;s didn%26#39;t work out?




The hotel or hotels you are dealing with may have raised their prices however it does not mean all hotels have done so.



Not far from my place is a nice little hotel named Sun House. It is only a short stroll from the beach. The weekly rate there is 1,000,000 rupiah. This is about $130 Aud.



There are also a number of other places that will supply accommodation, breakfast and probably throw in a crate of beer a day for around the $420 Aud per week that you mention.


  • zits
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment