Monday, December 12, 2011

Hotel stays for people with a disability????

Hello there all you wise travellers out there





I have a problem which is major to me, but probably not many others. I have a chance to stay at several hotels in Bali, the Alila chain. I love the look of, and reviews of the Alila in Candi Dasa and also at Ubud. BUT 30 years ago I had a brain tumour removed and as a result I have poor balance on my left side. Yet I continued to work full-time (I have just recently retired). Yes, if there are stairs anywhere, I need the handrail. Also a reasonably smooth surface for walking is good, though I have managed many other kinds of surfaces in the last 30 years.





HOWEVER, TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS GENERALLY ADVISE THAT BOTH HOTELS (i.e. at Ubud and Candi Dasa) ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES.





I%26#39;m SO disappointed. Please can you advise? If you%26#39;ve been to either, what do YOU think?



Hotel stays for people with a disability????


Hi,



Can I recommend that you email the properties and explain your circumstances, if there is a problem they may be able to offer assistance in the form of a staff member to help stabilise you in the problem areas. Most Balinese would be only too happy to help you in any way they can.





I don%26#39;t know the properties, but I assume that the ';not suitable for people with disabilities'; would mean steps. Handrails may or may not be installed.



Hotel stays for people with a disability????


Thanks so much, Whinnie, for your sensible reply. I was a bit afraid that I might get the wrong person replying to my query, or someone with a vested interest. But if I don%26#39;t try...... and I don%26#39;t want to miss out on any experience because I didn%26#39;t do my homework properly!




Let us know how you go and if it isn%26#39;t possible maybe we can give you some other alternatives. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment